Executive Assistant for Jenn Giles Kemper
Job Description & Application Information
Sacred Ordinary Days offers companionship and guidance in intentional, holistic Christian spiritual formation through online content, paper planners, and online and in-person retreats and courses. Led by Jenn Giles Kemper, a Spiritual Director and Minister, we invite people to reimagine their life with Christ through a creative approach to spiritual practices set within gentle rhythms that are sustaining and sustainable. While we’re rooted in ancient practices and the historical church, our hope is to see more followers of Jesus deeply formed to live in the way of Jesus, offering a compelling witness in the world through their very own sacred, ordinary days. In order to do this, we need a small, dedicated team of unique individuals who are as committed to our mission as they are to the craft of their work. We seek to build a team full of people whose work is joyful, effective, and sustainable.
As our work and communication is primarily online thus far (courses, groups, emails, social media, website), all members of our team need to be tech savvy and willing to keep learning, experimenting, and adapting as the online landscape shifts over time. We’ll always equip you with whatever you need to do that, but you’ll need to be eagerly willing.
The executive assistant position will be offered at 40 hours a week at $20/hour, with a flexible paid time off schedule and generous holidays, plus the opportunity to be promoted as we rebuild a local team.
To apply, please read the full job description below, then submit your application at the bottom by Friday, August 12 at 8pm CT. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and you’ll get a confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org once your application has been received. Zoom interviews will be scheduled August 10-August 17. In-person interviews will be scheduled for August 18-20. Our goal is to have the position filled by Monday, August 22. The start date will be ASAP, determined with the final candidate. We’ll keep you posted on your application status.
- equipped with a laptop (preferred), headphones, and a location you can do consistent, focused work from, including taking phone calls and video calls, when needed
- able to travel to in-person retreats, groups, and meetups within Texas, helping with setup and hosting
- available to work daily M-F, 40 hours/week, though your exact schedule can be flexible
- willing to track your time in specific seasons to calibrate
- live in Waco-area, able to work mostly from your own location, while occasionally meeting at the Kemper’s home in McGregor or another location nearby
We are looking to hire a full-time executive assistant to act as Jenn’s right-hand who will be responsible for the day-to-day needs and communication of the ministry. This will include ensuring our community and customers are well-served, vendors love having us as customers, and kindreds in the work of Christian spiritual formation consider us a dream partner by offering consistent communication and thorough, quick care of our people.
This will free Jenn up to do the work she is most deeply called to: teaching, facilitating groups, leading retreats, writing, creating, and coaching other ministers. Your role exists to manage the details and logistics with great care so that Jenn is relieved of that responsibility and mental load and she can act as the visionary of this organization and steward it well into the next seven years and beyond. Everything you do will be in support of this main objective.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Jenn Giles Kemper to learn about our community and goals so that you can see opportunities to help us grow and effectively serve our community, even beyond tasks that are directly assigned to you
- Scan the horizon to eliminate things that don’t need to exist and create solutions and simple systems to streamline and automate
- Manage the products and services we have available in our shop
- Manage the main company email inbox and be able to step in with Jenn’s inbox and social media inboxes as needed
- Manage the content calendar, including scheduling interviews and collaborations
- Contribute to the writing, proofing, and editing of newsletters, product descriptions, website copy, and course material
- Contribute to the strategy for original content we share on social media, in our newsletter, and beyond, in addition to helping with the execution
- Act as event coordinator and host for in-person retreats, workshops, and cohorts
- Uphold the tone of voice of the company and its warm, gracious, encouraging pattern of communication with fellow team members, vendors, kindreds, and partners
- thoughtful, gracious, and encouraging
- appreciation for and general awareness of the varied denominations within the Christian tradition
- able to communicate with warmth, clarity, and efficiency by phone and in written communication
- a “details person”
- quick to ask and answer how, when, and who (so Jenn can answer why and what)
- independent learner, not needing your hand held and enjoying multi-layered challenges (You know how to Google.)
- efficient without sacrificing quality
- able to happily do repetitive tasks like answering customer service emails and shipping
- pride of ownership in your unique, valuable role furthering SOD’s mission
APPS & TOOLS
- Wordpress & Showit - website
- Shopify & Thrivecart - shopping cart & payments
- Google Docs & Dropbox - document management
- Asana - project management
- Canva - creating graphics
- Mighty Networks - community & course platform
- Klaviyo - email service provider
- Slack - team communication
MORE ABOUT SACRED ORDINARY DAYS
We seek to be faithful stewards of the gifts we’ve inherited from the historical church and translators to the modern church by offering accessible teaching that resonates and from that, equipping an increasingly diverse group of Christians to be practitioners, teachers, and leaders in the Christian contemplative tradition. We value beauty, experimentation, hospitality, humility, and creativity. Through our groups and gatherings especially, our hope is to draw people into relationship with one another across the usual lines of denomination, generation, gender, location, race, or season of life so that they may learn from and with each other.
Coming from our founder’s work as a spiritual director and minister, we got our start creating liturgical planners, and over our first seven years of ministry we have grown to also offer online retreats and courses to a global, ecumenical, intergenerational community of Christ-followers. We will celebrate our 7th anniversary in September 2022, and as we look ahead at our next seven years of serving the church and equipping her to serve the world, we will begin adding in-person retreats and learning cohorts, partnering with more churches and denominations, and offering coaching for ministers. In the next year specifically, we’ll be focused on transitioning from an LLC to a 501c3, significantly increasing our order volume for planners (to make them financially sustainable again), transitioning our Rule of Life cohort to an evergreen model, adding in-person retreats and cohorts, and attracting a small long-term team based in Waco, Texas.
We recognize that many different life experiences draw people to our work and prioritize creating safe spaces for people to know and be known, learn, and practice together. Some come from disappointment, pain, loss, church hurt, and loneliness. Many have been hurt by their families, small groups, ministries, and local churches. Others come from a desire to grow deeper, a curiosity about unfamiliar liturgical and contemplative traditions, and a longing for companionship and guidance on the journey of becoming whole. We serve laity and clergy, unchurched and leaders in church, those who feel spiritually homeless and those who have been a part of the same church or denomination their whole lives.
To apply, please read the full job description above, then submit your application below by Friday, August 12 at 8pm CT. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and you’ll get a confirmation from email@example.com once your application has been reviewed. Zoom interviews will be scheduled August 10-August 17. In-person interviews will be scheduled for August 18-20. Our goal is to have the position filled by Monday, August 22. The start date will be ASAP, determined with the final candidate. We’ll keep you posted on your application status.